Mar 2, 2012

No two fingerprints are the same, or a Bulls-Eye with a tail / tale

Top: the photo from the March 2011 eBay item.
Bottom: the photo from the February 2012 eBay item.
In my previous blog I have mentioned the Boston Bulls-Eye camera that I had bought on eBay. It looked very well with almost no dents, scratches of missing pieces and I was glad I had it. That evening I was looking at some photos of wooden Boston Bulls-Eyes that I had saved to my computer. I found that I had pictures of another example with a pull strip to change the stops. It was offered for sale on eBay in March 2011 and I had saved several photos of that camera. I had not bought that one because it had two extra non-original holes in the back panel. While examining the photos I started to think that the March 2011 camera was very similar to the one I had just bought... Well, you get it, don't you?
After putting photos of the top panel of both cameras side by side the wood pattern looked very much the same. You know that no two fingerprints are exactly the same, and just so there are no two pieces of wood with 100% the same pattern. So my camera would most probably be the March 2011 camera. I mailed the seller to ask about the holes. He had not shown photos of the back panel on eBay, so I made clear that he should have.
The two non-original holes and the original D-shaped red window.
Like I had feared, my camera was the March 2011 camera with the extra holes. The seller immediately returned the money I had paid and asked what I thought the camera would be worth. In return I asked if the brass presure plate and the screw in the bottom were present. Also I asked for pics of the interior, so I could see any damages or missing parts. Until now I didn't get an answer.
What did I learn from this? I learned that even at my age I can be fooled by a pretty face and forget to have a look at the back side ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment