May 6, 2012

No. 5 Eastman Plate camera & No. 3 Eastman Plate camera

Today I finished working on the No. 5 Eastman Plate camera and I can say that I am satisfied with the result. Here's the result of all the TLC, Venetian Cream, metal polish, furniture touch up pen, Tana colorless cream, glue and spit. Yes, spit is very good for cleaning wood and ivory. The only part that is missing, is a little key on the side, like the one you can see in the pic below. Maybe you have one left over....



In the photo the camera is extended to two-third of the maximum extension. I would have liked to extend it to its maximum, but the tripod is too flimsy to safely hold the instrument when it is extended to a total of over 50 cm. The double extension on the Eastman Plate Series D models is necessary when only the front or back element of the combination lens is used, and this is done for wide angle or tele photography.

Today I did not only finish the "restoration" of the No. 5, but I also bought a No. 3 Eastman Plate Series D camera on eBay. As far as I can judge the instrument looks nice and only needs some minor amount of TLC. It is a small and neat camera and will make a fine trio with the large No. 5 and not so large No. 4. Here's a pic of it.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Spain. Beautiful collection! I'm a kodak collector too... but I haven't got your cameras. They are impossible for my economy. The more expensive cameras of my collection are a Kodak Gift and a Kodak 3b Quick Focus Model A. The last one I bought was this one:

    http://www.ebay.nl/itm/332115953119?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

    What do you think about it? I don't know if it's a #3,4 or 5. Thank you very much. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete